Rehabilitation Training

The Wildlife Center offers a variety of educational opportunities for those interest in learning more about wildlife rehabilitation.

Wildlife Rehabilitation in Virginia

To rehabilitate wildlife in Virginia, individuals and organizations must have a permit. Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) is the agency that issues state wildlife rehabilitation permits; federal permits (for rehabilitating birds) are obtained from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

VDGIF’s permit conditions provide details on the permit application process and specific regulations pertaining to wildlife rehabilitation; the conditions also describe the different types of rehabilitation permits that are issued in the state.

This Wildlife Center document summarizes what’s involved in obtaining and renewing a wildlife rehabilitation permit in Virginia.

Continuing Education Opportunities

For those seeking continuing education credits for obtaining or renewing rehabilitation permits, or for those simply interested in learning more about how to get involved in helping wildlife, the Wildlife Center offers introductory wildlife rehabilitation training classes. These classes are scheduled throughout the year online, and occasionally at locations throughout Virginia.

The Wildlife Center also provides continuing-education training for wildlife rehabilitators through our annual two-day Call of the Wild conference, which is specifically designed for rehabilitators and other wildlife “first responders”. Each year more than 120 participants from across the United States attend the Call of the Wild conference.

Hands-on Training at the Wildlife Center

Two types of hands-on wildlife rehabilitation training are available at the Wildlife Center: rehabilitation externships and internships. Externships include 600 hours of training over a minimum of 12 weeks, while the internship offers a more in-depth training period of six months to one year.